Braintree Selectboard Meeting
January 17, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Brian Jones, Resident
Timothy Caulfield, Selectboard Chair Stacy and Chris Blanchard, Residents
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jackson Evans, Lister
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Jessica Brassard, Treasurer/DTC/Town Clerk
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Mr. Caulfield called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The board reviewed the Agenda, Telephones system added under old business.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the board unanimously approved the minutes of January 3, 2017 as corrected.
Guests: Mr. Evans shared with the board that a reappraisal will need to occur. The Town will get the official notice from the State this summer and will have 18 months from then to complete the reappraisal. The last complete reappraisal the Town did was in 2005. A partial reappraisal was done in 2010. There is currently $61,000 in the reappraisal fund. That should be enough to hire a reappraisal firm to complete the work. The Listers’ budget was adjusted at the last meeting to account for the additional work they will need to do to support the appraisal. Mr. Evans and the board also discussed the reasons for doing the reappraisal, and what doing so will mean to the Town, but the overriding reason we will do the reappraisal is that receipt of State school funding is tied to completing it.
- Treasurer’s Report and Financials
- The financials were reviewed. Overall Town spending is currently below budget.
- The Vehicle Capital Plan was reviewed. The new pickup truck was paid for out of the fund without a loan. After FY2019 the fund should be able to be sustained without more loans, and all of the loans should be paid off by FY2024.
- The Capital Plan was reviewed. The goal is to cause this plan to become sustainable without loans also.
- There is a tax sale scheduled for this Friday. Two properties were originally going to be sold. It looks like one will pay the back taxes before the sale occurs. Mr. Caulfield will attend the sale and, on the Town’s behalf, purchase any properties that are not purchased by a private party.
- 2017-18 Draft Budget was reviewed.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the board unanimously approved moving all of the Admin. Assistant’s pay to the Executive Section of the budget, instead of having half in Highway and half in Executive.
- Highway Report: doing winter maintenance. There was nothing else to report at this time.
- The second draft of the warning was reviewed.
- The board was reminded of the meeting next Thursday, January, 26 at 9 AM for the approval of the budget, and the warning along with proofreading the Town Report.
- There is no new information on the telephone system replacement.
- On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the board unanimously approved the Liquor License renewal for Snowsville Store.
- Certificate of Highway Mileage was tabled because we still need the milage for Meadow Lane from ACE.
- The Quarterly Fuel Log was reviewed.
- The Admin. Hours Report was reviewed.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the board unanimously approved moving the Selectboard meeting following Town meeting to Wednesday March 8th at 6:00 PM.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 6:50 pm.