Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 16, 2016
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Robert Cruickshank, LNAC regarding Bover Rd
Timothy Caulfield, Selectboard Chair Richard Arms, LNAC
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Danny Hale, VAST
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Adam Lane, LNAC/VASA
Jessica Arms, LNAC
Hugh McLean, Resident
Jessica Brassard, Treasurer/Town Clerk/DTC Kegan Haupt, Resident
Jeffrey Masterson, Road Commissioner Linda Thresher Grimes, Resident
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant Janice Thresher, Resident
Brian Jones, Resident
Mr. Caulfield called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
Review of Agenda: Ms. Herrick’s well was tabled; Mr. McLean regarding Old Home Hill Road was added; the ticket book progress was tabled; emergency numbers were added; and tree cutting was added under the highway report.
- Mr. McLean came to find out what the approval process should be for him to replace the bridge on Old Home Hill Road. His house is the only one on the class 4 road. He has contracted Dubois and King to create plans for the bridge construction, and is planning on paying all the costs associated with the project. It was pointed out that there are State permits that will need to be obtained, and that the board would like to review the plans before construction starts. The board thanked him for taking on the project.
- Adam Lane, the Vice President of Lost Nation ATV Club (LNAC) a member of VASA, shared their hopes to get permission for ATVs to use small sections of Braintree’s Legal Trails, Class 3 and Class 4 roads as a part of their trail system. They are still working on determining the exact route. They thought the trail would be in the Bover Road, Connecticut Corners Road and Lemery Road areas. They shared a copy of relevant Statutes and the standard ordinance that they propose to towns where they hope to use class 3 roads as part of a trail system. The people, present at the meeting, thought that registered ATVs can use class 4 roads currently. It was agreed that the next steps would be for VASA to contact the landowners along the roads they may possibly use, and see what level of support they have. The Selectboard will familiarize themselves with the rules around this matter. It was agreed that an informational meeting should be held at some point.
- There were a number of changes made to the draft minutes. On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the board approved the minutes of August 2, 2016 as corrected.
- Ms. Thresher asked if the natural area on Thayer Brook Road was going to be mowed. The property will remain a natural, non-mowed, area. The trees were planted to help reduce erosion issues.
- Semi-Annual Report: TRORC Development Commission Rep.’s report was reviewed.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Financials were reviewed.
- Mr. Bowen asked about the merit pay budget line. He believes that it would be better to add the estimated raises directly to the appropriate budget lines. Mr. Caulfield explained why this method was started. The two board members disagree as to which method should be used. It will be discussed more as a part of next year’s budgeting process.
- Ms. Brassard advised that she is thinking about painting the front office when all the furniture has been moved for the flooring installation. Moving the Selectboard meeting from Sept. 6th, when the flooring work is occurring was discussed. It was decided not to change the date. Ideas about how to store the furniture was discussed. The meeting will still be held at the Town Office. If this changes for some reason, it will be posted in the meeting notice.
- Highway Report
- Pickup truck quotes are not ready yet. It was tabled.
- The Connecticut Corners Road project with the Better Back Road grant is progressing well and should be done by the end of the year.
- Mr. Bump, from Vtrans, will be meeting with Mr. Masterson to see the site to determine the installation costs of a bridge rental for Tannenburg Road.
- The board reviewed the RFP for Thayer Brook Rd and Braintree Hill Rd ditching and tree cutting. The proposed tree cutting was discussed. There were some other tree cutting issues discussed. Mr. Bent, as the Tree Warden, will look at the roads in question to determine which trees should be cut. The board discussed the idea of holding an informational meeting to discuss tree cutting plans so that people can comment and are prepared for potential changes. The RFPs were approved.
- The board reviewed the one paving bid which came in for paving Mobile Acres Road. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the board accepted the bid from Hilltop Construction for $70,000. Mr. Bent recused himself, because he is related to the owner of the business. Mr. Caulfield, Mr. Bowen and Ms. O’Toole voted in favor. There was some discussion regarding Town staff doing ditching prior to the project. The motion carried.
- The board discussed adding emergency phone contacts to the website and answering machine message. It was agreed to add Mr. Masterson’s home number for highway related emergencies and Selectboard Chair’s (in this case Mr. Caulfield’s) number for other town related emergencies.
- Mr. Masterson explained the issue the Highway Department is having with the pagers. They keep breaking. It was agreed that Mr. Masterson should take the steps he feels appropriate regarding the pagers. The pagers for the other members of the highway department will be turned off during the summer months when they aren’t on call.
- The test results from Tabor’s bank run material was discussed. It has a high level of fines in it. It would shed water well, but not drain. Mr. Bent advised that Roxbury is happy with the materials performance. The highway department is looking bank run material that will drain. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the board approved purchasing R.E. Tucker’s bank run material at the rate of $16.45 per yard. Mr. Bent voted against the motion. Mr. Bowen, Mr. Caulfield, and Ms. O’Toole voted in favor of the motion. The motion carried.
- Mr. Bowen asked about the status of the telephone replacement RFP. A list of people to send it to is being compiled.
- Irene update: no new information.
- Stagecoach Road update: no new information.
- Update about the purchase of additional property around the Town Office/Garage. Mr. Bothner told Mr. Caulfield that the contract has been signed and is in the mail.
- Update about Meadow Lane: The letters have been sent to the landowners notifying them of the hearing.
- Old Business
- The board reviewed the revised fuel logs, and decided that they are adequate for now.
- Zoning hours with regard to vacation was tabled.
- Ticket booklet was tabled.
- New Business (everything had been discussed earlier in the meeting).
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the board unanimously adjourned the meeting.