Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 15, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Janice Thresher, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Linda Grimes, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Larry McEnany, from Nortrax Inc.
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Jim Barlow, an attorney
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Lindsay Haupt, Town Health Officer Jessie Brassard, Treasurer & Town Clerk
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda, adding a report by Ms. Lindsay Haupt under reports.
- On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of August 1, 2017.
Citizen’s Comments – none
- Ms. Lindsay Haupt advised that as the Town Health Officer, she received a call from a tenant on Duclos Road regarding mold in the home they are renting. Mr. Haupt went with her to the residence as a member of the Selectboard and as a contractor to help identify the issues and where the mold is coming from. Ms. Haupt completed the home inspection on Sunday, Aug. 13th. She met with both the landlord and the tenant Monday Aug. 14th. The landlord does not feel he can remedy the problems in 30 days. The landlord and the tenant are in agreement that the tenant should seek alternative housing at this time. Ms. Haupt is unsure of the exact procedure going forward. The hearing process to condemn the structure might be necessary, although since the landowner is willing to have it condemned until the issues are resolved, there might be a different process. The people Ms. Haupt needs to speak to at the Health Department are on vacation this week. Hopefully she can get more answers from them before the next meeting. She will provide an update at that meeting.
- Mr. Jim Barlow: is a lawyer who practices municipal law. He, the Board and Ms. Brassard talked about the services he could provide Braintree.
- Ms. Brassard provided an update regarding financials. Tax bills are out, and money is starting to come in.
- Mr. Masterson provided the Highway Report. The Highway Department is working on ditching. The Intersection of Farnsworth Brook Road and Route 12 is working well and has been paved. The school has a new radio frequency for its busses. It will cost $425.00 to put the new frequency in the Highway Department’s radios. A radio is also broken and will need to be fixed or replaced.
- Ms. O’Toole provided an update regarding the Stagecoach Trail. A sign needs to be installed at the top of the Stagecoach Trail where it meets Flint Road which indicates that there is no motorized access on the trail. The ordinance needs updating, and the survey finalized. Justin Polin is to take down the second gate on the Stagecoach Trail. Mr. Bent volunteer to check and see if it has been removed.
- Class 3 & 4 Roads discussion: tabled.
- The Town Office Project bids were due last Friday. No bids came in. Mr. Haupt will change the request for proposals to have just the heating system in it.
- At the last meeting the Board had voted to purchase a John Deere loader. Before the contract was signed Mr. Bowen learned a few things about the warranty and service agreement which he felt the Board should discuss; thinking that they may want to reconsider their decision. There was a lengthy discussion about the merits of both the John Deere and the Komatsu, the warranty, the service agreements, and the price of the machines. The Highway Department tried out all three machines. They liked the Caterpillar the best, with the Komatsu second, and the John Deere least. They understand that the Caterpillar isn’t in the running because its price is so much higher than the other two, but really do prefer the Komatsu over the John Deere. After more discussion Haupt made a motion, seconded by Mr. Bent, to uphold the decision from the last meeting to purchase the John Deere Loader, but to remove the option for heated mirrors. Before the vote was taken Ms. O’Toole stated that she thinks the opinion of the Highway Department is very valuable, but that she doesn’t feel like the new information presented regarding the warranty and service agreement make a big enough difference for her to change her vote. The motion was restated. Mr. Bent, Mr. Haupt, and Ms. O’Toole voted in favor of the motion, Mr. Bowen voted against the motion, Mr. Burson abstained from the vote since he was not at the last meeting.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously agreed that any purchase will go out to bids and come to the Board to be opened at a meeting from now on, with all the information needed to make the decision. Ms. O’Toole reiterated that the road crew does a great job, and their opinions should be taken into consideration regardless of how equipment purchases are handled in the future.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board revised the Town Hall Rental Contract as discussed. Smoking will no longer be allowed on Town Hall premises, including outside areas.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:20 pm.