Braintree Selectboard Meeting
January 2, 2018
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Jessie Brassard, Treasurer/Town Clerk
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6pm. Mr. Bent will be late to the meeting, as there is a fire in Roxbury and Fire Department needs some sanding done.
The Board reviewed the agenda. There will be an executive session at the end of the meeting regarding salaries as part of the budget discussion, and another personnel issue.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of Dec. 19, 2017.
Residents Comments – none
- Highway report: it is now cold, there will be snow this week, and then rain next week.
Mr. Masterson asked if he could look into ordering the truck for the FY19 budget year. It takes quite some time to order a truck and then have Tenco add the equipment to it. A number of the dealers are willing to have the Town indicate the options they want on a truck, with the dealers ordering it, but wait for the Town to actually purchase the truck after July 1st. In doing this hopefully the Highway Department can use the truck for a month or two before plowing with it, instead of getting the truck in January. Mr. Masterson indicated that if, on town meeting day, the town did not vote to purchase the truck, the town would have no obligation to purchase the ordered truck. The Board agreed with this plan and asked Mr. masterson to begin looking into the different options/trucks available to order.
The diesel fuel in the storage tank is jelled up from the cold and they haven’t been able to fill the trucks in a week. Mr. Masterson and the Board talked about options.
- The street light in front of the town office will cost $20 to install and $0.78 a day to operate.
- Phone system update:Ms. Jarvis and Key Communications are playing phone tag.
- Doors update: Mr. Haupt and the contractor are playing phone tag.
- The Board reviewed the budget. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved moving the $62,000 which has been contributed to the gravel pit reserve fund to the capital fund in this upcoming fiscal year. The gravel pit fund will have about $136,000 in it at the end of the FY18. There are a number of capital improvement project which need to be done, and this $62,000 will help jumpstart the capital fund.
- The Board reviewed the Determination of Energy Compliance Resolution that has been provided by TRORPC in light of the recent update to the Town Plan. On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the Determination of Energy Compliance Resolution.
- Bob Moyer has offered his resignation from the Planning Commission but not the Development Review Board. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously accepted the resignation, with appreciation of all the time Mr. Moyer has spent on the Commission.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously appointed Jackson Evans to the Planning Commission.
Mr. Bent arrived at the meeting.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously voted to go into Executive session as per 1 V.S.A. 313(a)(3) to Discuss Personnel Issues.
Upon coming out of executive session, on motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously agreed to ask Mr. Masterson and Ms. Jarvis to determine if it is legal to pay Bernard Lefebvre time and a half plus holiday pay for the holiday he worked as is standard for the regular full-time employer, and if so to do so. [He was temporarily full time on the holiday he worked.]
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:30 pm.