Braintree Selectboard Meeting
July 5, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda no changes were made.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of June 20, 2017.
Citizen’s Comment – none
Highway Report: there was some heavy rain throughout the State over the weekend. Braintree did not have much road damage from flooding. Bear Hill Road was repaired over the weekend. The small stream which caused damage on Bear Hill Road has caused both road damages and private property damages a number of times in the recent past. Mr. Masterson plans to try and mitigate the issues with the stream through the Municipal Roads Grant-In-Aid pilot project offered to the Town. Some culverts on Braintree Hill Road had to be unclogged over the weekend also. The Highway Department has been putting up winter sand, and considering loader options for the scheduled purchase of a new loader. The rented mower contract is finished, and it has been sent back. There was not time to mow the fields on both sides of Mountain View Cemetery. The Highway Department did mow the outside edges of the cemetery.
- On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the Class 4 Road and Trail Policy.
- The Board signed the Category D BRG Grant agreement for Peth and Walker Road.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the Town Office Building Insulation & Heat request for proposals.
- The Conservation Commission recommends that the Town apply to the State for a permit to apply glyphophate (Roundup) to a limited number of Japanese Knotweed infestations. They should be contained within the Town’s right of way and not extend farther back onto the landowners’ property. The Selectboard will invite Gerold Kinney to come talk with them at their next meet regarding Knotweed treatment.
- The Board discussed adding a municipal fee to the Town’s budget for solid waste. The alternative is to continue to have the fee incorporated into the bag fees at the transfer station. The discussion was tabled. Bowen will ask Mr. Caulfield for more information.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the State Homeland Security Grant Program: Grant Agreement for the phone system.
- On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the Access Permit Application off from Connecticut Corners Road for Ellen Fox, and Heinz Rathmann.
- The Board reviewed a letter drafted by Ms. Brassard regarding adding Ms. Jarvis as an authorized contact on the Bank of America Credit Card account. The Board agreed to the request. Mr. Bowen signed the letter.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously went into Executive Session to discuss a legal issue per 1V.S.A. 313(a)(1).
- On coming out of executive session, Ms. O’Toole made the motion, seconded by Mr. Burson, to approve the Stipulation of Settlement in the legal matter which was discussed in the executive session. (Mr. Burson, Mr. Haupt, and Ms. O’Toole voted in favor of the motion; Mr. Bent and Mr. Bowen voted against the motion. The motion carried). Bent thanked Ms. O’Toole for her hard work with this matter. The other members agreed. Ms. O’Toole thanked the Board members for their patience working through it.
The Board unanimously approved adjourning the meeting around 7:30 pm.