Braintree Selectboard Meeting
February 21, 2017
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Brian Jones, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Timothy Caulfield, Selectboard Chair Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Mr. Caulfield called the meeting to order at 6:01 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda, no changes were made.
- On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of February 7, 2017.
- Two Rivers Ottauquechee Regional Commission Rep’s semiannual report – no report.
- Highway Report: Mr. Caulfield asked about the mud on Braintree Hill Road, and Flint Road. Mr. Masterson advised that some grading was done today, and now they are going to wait and see, how the muddy road responds.
- The Board reviewed the financials; they look good at this point.
- Stagecoach Road
- It was noted that Justin Poulin and Robert and Tay Simpson have appealed the road decision to the court. The Board agreed to discuss this more at the end of the meeting in executive session.
- Phones System Estimates. There was a conference call with Key Communications last week. During that conversation it became evident that Voice over Internet Protocols (VoIP) systems are not reliable enough for an Emergency Operating Center. If the town office was not one, we might be inclined to go with a that sort of system because we could get the added features we are looking for without as high upfront costs, but for an Emergency Operation Center redundancy in communication methods is important. The estimate we received is $4,100 for a system which uses both copper phone lines and VoIP. The system will be able to utilize both connection types seamlessly, and should be able shift calls from one type to the other if one of the connection types stops working. This information came in at the same time as information about a grant that the State is offering for Emergency Operation Center’s communications system. This project would fit the parameters of the grant. Mr. Caulfield said he would complete the grant request if the Board would like him to. If Braintree is awarded this grant it would cover all of the equipment involved with the grant, but not the labor to install it. With this project the Town would end up paying around $1,300. The Board accepted Mr. Caulfield’s offer to apply for the grant.
- The Town Report delivery schedule and status was discussed. One more route needs a volunteer. Mr. Caulfield mentioned a few people he could call. Mr. Haupt said he would make time to do it if no one else can.
- On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the Certificate of No Appeals or Suits Pending.
- Mr. Masterson, Mr. Bowen and Mr. Caulfield met last week to view the access to Abel Mountain Campground. Mr. Manning had asked if the snow in the entrance to the campground could be cleaned out. After reviewing the site they believed that it was being treated the same as any other driveway in town and thus it was the landowner’s responsibility to clear the snow from it. Mr. Caulfield had left him a message saying so and inviting him to the Selectboard meeting if he wished to discuss it more.
- On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved authorizing Randolph to installing Braintree’s radio frequencies in Randolph’s radios.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board went into executive session to discuss a personnel issue and to discuss legal strategies with regards to the Stagecoach Trail appeal.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board came out of executive session. Upon coming out of executive session no, decisions were made.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:50 PM.