Braintree Selectboard Meeting
February 7, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Linda Morse, Conservation Commission Chair
Timothy Caulfield, Selectboard Chair Joan Richmond-Hall, Planning Commission Vice Chair
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Paul Kendall, Stagecoach Representative
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Mr. Caulfield called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
Review of Agenda – no changes were made to the agenda.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of January 17, 2017.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Caulfield, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of January 26, 2017.
- Ms. Morse came to the Selectboard meeting so that the Board would be aware of the proposed resolution. The Conservation Commission is asking Loren Bent, the Tree Warden, if he would approve the following resolution.
Resolution of the Braintree Tree Warden:
I give my permission for property owners in the Town of Braintree to cut down any trees of the species referred to as Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) on their property that are within the Town’s right of way. They are not required to seek my permission individually.
The Common Buckthorn is an invasive species which is quite common is Braintree. A number of residents are trying to remove it from their properties. This blanket resolution will make it clear that they can cut it in the right of way of the road on their property. Mr. Bent agreed to the resolution and has signed it. A copy will be made available on the Town website.
- Stagecoach Representative- Paul Kendall came to advise the Board that Stagecoach and Addison County Transit Resources (ACTR) are going to merge. They have been operating as one entity for the last 18 months and it is working well. Currently both entities are looking at the details of how the merger will work and will answer remaining questions by May, so the merger can take effect at the beginning of their fiscal year on July 1st. Both entities’ respective identities will be retained by having two operating committees. A corporate committee will be formed having equal members from both service areas. They expect to have a public forum so that residents can ask questions regarding the bylaws sometime in May.
- Highway Report: it is currently snowing, rain is coming. It has been an icy winter. The new pickup truck is working well.
- Connectivity Committee report: ECFiber has connected all the “pre-subscribed” residences along the newly created route. FairPoint expanded its DSL internet up Bent Hill Road, and VTel is available in some areas in town. With the success that the committee is having with attaching high-speed internet they have decided to stop wasting time trying to improve cell service, as those companies seem to have no interest in Braintree. Residents who have high-speed internet can use “microcell” boosters to provide cell service at their homes.
ECFiber intends to expand service throughout all of its 24 member towns. The Town with the most interest in services will be the next one to have its network expanded. There will be a campaign to get “pre-subscribers” early this year. The connectivity committee will get the word out to encourage Braintree residents to “pre-subscribe”. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved appointing Mr. Caulfield to the Connectivity Committee.
- The Selectboard will be holding a Pre-Town Meeting at 7:00 PM at the Town Hall the Monday before Town Meeting: Monday, March 6th.
- The Board’s normal meeting has been rescheduled from Tuesday, March 7th, to Wednesday March 8th at 6:00 pm. This meeting will be the annual organizational meeting.
- A meeting has been set up to review one possible option for the phone system.
- Ms. Richmond-Hall spoke with the Board regarding the possibility of amending the unified bylaws (the zoning bylaws). Wording in one of the exemptions has proven to be problematic, and not enforceable. The Board accepted the Planning Commission’s plan to do an interim amendment to the Unified Bylaws. The Planning Commission will do the initial re-write, passing it along to the Selectboard for approval when they are happy with it.
- The Certificate of Highway Mileage was reviewed, on motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved it.
- The Board reviewed the changes to the Town’s Insurance Coverage and agreed that a further review of the coverage was not needed.
- The Board reviewed TRORC annual VTrans project ranking. They wondered why the paving project on Route 12 in Braintree has been removed from the list. Mr. Caulfield will inquire.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved going into executive session for an employee issue.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded of Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved coming out of executive session. No decisions were made.
On motion of Mr. Caulfield, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved adjourning the meeting at 7:32 pm.