Regular Braintree Selectboard Meeting
April 4, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Larry Benoir, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Tom Cooch, Conservation Commision
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Paul Shriver, Resident
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Stuart Kinney, Resident
Brian Jones, Resident
Walter Palmer, Employee
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the Agenda. The Board moved the Tree Warden discussion above the Conservation Commission Report. They also added an executive session to the end of the agenda.
Approve Minutes: On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of March 21, 2017.
- Mr. Stuart Kinney came to talk about the Tannenburg Bridge. He believes the Town is planning on putting more money than needed into the bridge and wonders why a temporary bridge was put in place. It was discussed.
- Ms. Lubold provided the Board with the semi-annual White River Valley Ambulance (WRVA) Report. Things are going well with the ambulance service. Pittsfield had considered going with Rutland ambulance service but decided to stay with WRVA. Brookfield is again considering splitting their calls between Barry’s Ambulance Service and WRVA. WRVA is one of the first ambulance services in the State to achieve the designation of a Vermont critical care paramedic service, which is the highest available designation in the State.
- A while ago Loren Bent had indicated that he would be happy to step aside and let someone else be Tree Warden. Larry Benoir has indicated that he would accept an appointment to the position. The possibility was discussed. Mr. Bent resigned as Tree Warden. On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved accepting Mr. Bent’s resignation as Tree Warden. On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously appointed Larry Benoir as the Tree Warden, on the condition that the Tree Warden not be able to take any of the wood from trees cut down in the right of way of the roads, unless they are on his own property, and he would take advantage of training as it becomes available and one is coming in May.
- Mr. Cooch provided the Board with the Conservation Commission’s semi-annual report. The Conservation Commission recently had their reorganizational meeting in which they decided to assign members key topics to lead. One thing mentioned is that the invasive plant commonly known as wild parsnip is becoming more prevalent in the area. People combatting it should be careful not to get the oil on their skin because the oil, in combination with sunlight, can cause burns. He also talked about the weed wrench that the commission is purchasing.
- Mr. Masterson provided the Board with a Highway report. Currently, the roads and vehicles are holding up well. The Highway Department has an OSHA training for heavy equipment that they are hosting this week. Mr. Masterson is working with ANR to prepare the RFP for Thayer Brook Road’s Better Road Grant. Mr. Masterson brought to the Board’s attention the intersection at Farnsworth Brook Road and Route 12. Changing it from a Y intersection to a T would make it safer for the State and Town’s Highway Departments to plow the intersection, reduce the time it takes to plow, and help with drainage. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously authorized Mr. Masterson to look into it more. The Tannenburg Bridge was discussed more.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board appointed Ms. O’Toole as Braintree’s Representative for the Stagecoach Road Hearings. (Ms. O’Toole abstained. The other three members present voted in favor, the motion carried).
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously appointed Mr. Caulfield as an Emergency Management Director.
- The Board briefly discussed the Purchasing Policy. Some ideas for how it should be redrafted were suggested. Ms. O’Toole will update it.
- A Teleworking Policy was briefly discussed, but one is not needed at this time.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the Annual Financial Plan.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the Certificate of Compliance for Town Roads.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board voted unanimously to go into executive session for a personal matter per 1 V.S.A 313(a)(3).
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board came out of executive session.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously agreed to reimburse Mr. Palmer for his insurance coverage through Aetna insurance.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting around 8 pm.