Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 1, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Janice Thresher, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Linda Grimes, Resident
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Jessie Brassard, Resident
Tim Caulfield, Connectivity Committee Chair
Larry McEnany, from Nortrax Inc.
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda. They moved the purchase of the loader nearer the beginning of the agenda. Added the US Department of Commerce update of Census addresses, and a discussion about the possibility of reclassifying short class 3 roads.
- On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the Minutes of July 18, 2017.
- Ms. Thresher mentioned that a number of years ago when a previous Board had considered discontinuing some roads, the Town attorney at the time advised that all similar roads should be considered if one was to be discontinued. The Board briefly discussed this with Ms. Thresher and it was thought that this advice was given to encourage equal treatment of equal situations, not having anything specific to do with road laws. It was thought that each road could be evaluated on its own merits for the public good, but the Board will investigate this idea further.
- Mr. Caulfield asked if there has been any progress on the project to install the guardrail out on Hockman Hill Road. The state program which is going to do the project has notified the Town that the project is out to bid.
- Mr. Caulfield asked about the road work out on Braintree Hill Road between Rose Road and Rolling Rock Road. More of the project will be done this year, but it will not be finished until next year.
After a lengthy discussion, on motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved purchasing the John Deere loader for $126,285.
- The Connectivity Committee had been formed to bring high speed internet and cell coverage to Braintree. With ECFiber’s plan to build out the Town, the trunk line now in Town, and Comcast, FairPoint, and VTell’s current coverage, that goal is met, at least as well as possible. Cell phone companies have not paid any attention to the Committee’s attempts to communicate with them regarding expanding coverage in Braintree, but with high-speed internet throughout the area, residents can achieve coverage at their homes. Ms. Doane has just recently resigned from the Committee due to health reasons. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously accepting Ms. Doane’s resignation, and to disband the Connectivity Committee [because their goal has been met].
- Highway Report: The Highway Department has been ditching, grading, putting down some gravel, and working on the intersection of Farnsworth Brook Road and Route 12.
- The request for proposals for the Town Office air sealing and insulation project was in the newspaper this week. The bids are due on Aug. 11th.
- On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board approved the purchase of a new 50 gallon B.W. heat pump hot water heater for the Town Hall for $1,100.00. Mr. Haupt abstained, the other three members voted in favor of the motion. The motion carried.
- The Board briefly discussed the request for an updated mailing list for the 2020 Census. Ms. O’Toole offered to work on it.
- The Board considered discussing reclassifying some of the short class 3 roads in town which only serve one house. Mr. Masterson will look into how much it costs the Town to plow, sand and maintain these roads.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:45 pm.