Braintree Selectboard Meeting
June 20, 2017
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Linda Grimes, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Holly Benoir, Resident
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Jody Benoir, Resident
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Stuart Kinney, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Tom Cooch, Conservation Commission update
Brian Jones, Resident
Jessica Brassard, Treasurer/Town Clerk
Tim Caulfield, EMD Report
Janice Thresher, Resident
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda. An access permit was added to the agenda under new business.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of June 6, 2017.
- Mr. Kinney commented that Bent Hill Road is going to survive the latest round of mud. He also encouraged any Selectboard members who have not seen the temporary Tannenberg Bridge to see it. He feels it is adequate as a permanent bridge.
- Conservation Commission: Tom Cooch advised that the Conservation Commission is learning more about knotweed. He cut a few patches of it throughout the summer last year, and is cutting it again this summer. He confirms that it would take a long time to eradicate it just by cutting it. Round-up or something similar should kill the plant if used at the appropriate time of year just after the plant goes to seed, though it may take a couple years of applications. That sort of chemical treatment is not allowed in the right of way of the road, except by someone who is certified to apply it , and even then only with a plan which has been approved by the State. The Conservation Commission will be discussing it at their next meeting and plan to make a recommendation to the Selectboard regarding the knotweed in the right-of ways of the road.
- Mr. Caulfield is working on emergency planning and preparation.
- The Town has been awarded a telephone system grant. He received the final approval this afternoon.
- Mr. Caulfield advised that the Mountain Alliance (the four town alliance for solid waste that Braintree is a part of) is working on getting their bylaws set up. Braintree’s share of what this year is $1,516. The Alliance is asking for input from the four Selectboards as to if that money should be paid for out of the town budget, or be raised by bag fees at the transfer station. It will be on the next agenda.
- Mr. Caulfield provided an update on the Connectivity Committee activities.
- Financial Report: over all the financials look good. The total expenses are at 88% of the total budget at the end of May.
- The Board reviewed and signed the Capital Budget Loan paperwork.
- Ms. Brassard and the Selectboard discussed how to complete the Annual Update of the Internal Control Checklist. On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board appointed Mr. Bowen as the signer on the checklist. Ms. Brassard and Ms. Jarvis will fill it out and Mr. Bowen will review and sign it on behalf of the Board.
- Highway Report: road side mowing is almost done. The mower goes back on Friday the 23rd. Mr. Masterson did not think there would be time to mow the fields on both sides of Mountain View Cemetery this year.
- The Class 4 Road and Trail Policy was reviewed. A few more changes were talked about. A final draft will be reviewed at the next meeting.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved Sullivan and Powers Scope of Services for the FY 2017 audit.
- The Category D BRG Grant was tabled until the next meeting.
- The Board reviewed the Town Office Building Insulation RFP. There are a few more details to work out. It will be reviewed again at the next meeting.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved moving the next Selectboard meeting from July 4th to Wednesday, July 5th, at 6pm.
- On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the Municipal Roads Grant. The letter of intent was signed.
- On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the 2018 Better Roads Planning Services Agreement for project 10-432.
- The Board reviewed the access permit for David Bent onto Bent Hill Road for agricultural use. On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board approved the access permit (Loren Bent abstained from the vote because he is related to David Bent. The motion carried).
- On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved going into Executive Session to Discuss Personnel Issue per 1 V.S.A. 313(a)(3) & Legal Issue per 1 V.S.A. 313 (a)1. Mr. Masterson and Ms. Jarvis were invited into the executive session for the legal issue part of the discussion.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board voted unanimously to come out of executive session.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the salary increases as noted in the salary worksheet, and will submit the salary amounts to Ms. Jarvis for the file.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved advising the party to the legal issue, to work with Ms. Jarvis to fill out a claim with the Town’s insurance provider.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 8:05 pm.