Braintree Selectboard Regular Meeting
June 6, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Robert Cruickshank, Class 4 Roads
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Holly Benoir, Class 4 Roads
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Jody Benoir, Class 4 Roads
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Michael Porzio, Class 4 Roads
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Jackson Evans, Reappraisal Contract
Brian Jones, Resident
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant Bob Moyer, Planning Commission
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner Nathan Cleveland, Planning Commission
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda. Nothing was added.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of May 16, 2017.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously accepted Linda Doane’s resignation from Planning Commission.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously appointed Nathan Cleveland to Planning Commission.
Mr. Evans came to discuss the reappraisal contract. The reappraisal must be completed before 2020. The Listers received two bids. One from Steve Twombly for $80,520, the other from Vermont Appraisal Company for $59,995. They seem comparable, and both companies have done many local reappraisals. The Listers are recommending selecting the Vermont Appraisal Company. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved contracting with Vermont Appraisal Company for the reappraisal. The reappraisal will start July of 2019.
- The Highway Department is currently doing summer maintenance: ditching, putting gravel down, and brush cutting.
It was noted that the first meeting in July lands on July 4th. Moving the meeting to Wednesday, July 5th was suggested. It will be discussed again at the next meeting, and a decision will be made at that point.
It was also noted that a grant monitoring meeting with VTrans will occur next Tuesday. Mr. Bowen will attend the meeting, and other Board members are welcome to attend.
- The edits to the Class 4 Road and Trail Policy were reviewed and discussed. It will be reviewed again at the next meeting.
- The concept of a livable wage was discussed. The Board had previously tabled the discussion to see if the State legislators would act regarding the concept. They have not. It was agreed to bring the livable wage concepts into consideration as an element of the discussion regarding wages, while building next year’s budgets. The Board did not feel it would be wise to create a policy regarding livable wages for Braintree employees at this time.
- Haupt provided the Board with a first draft of an RFP for replacing the heating system and the air sealing work for the Town Office. It was discussed. He will take another look around the building and update the draft RFP for review at the next meeting.
- The Sullivan and Powers audit contract was tabled until the next meeting.
- The Category D BRG grant agreement was tabled until the next meeting.
- The Board discussed the gravel contract. On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board agreed to continue the gravel contract at the same rates, with R.E. Tucker, for another year.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved going into Executive Session to Discuss Personnel Issues per 1 V.S.A. 313(a)(3).
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously came out of executive session. There was no further action necessary.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:50 pm.