Braintree Selectboard Meeting
March 21, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Robert Cruckshank, LNAC
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Brian Jones, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Doug Gottshall, Bent Hill Brewery
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Michael Czok, Bent Hill Brewery
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Niklaas Sargent, LNAC
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Jessie Brassard, Treasurer
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6pm.
The Board reviewed the Agenda: adding citizens’ comments, and an update about financials under reports.
Citizens’ comments: none
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of March 6, 2017.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of March 8, 2017 as corrected.
Ms. O’Toole followed up on Mr. Gottshall’s questions about liquor licenses with the Department of Liquor. She explained what she had learned, and Mr. Czok, the owner of Bent Hill Brewery, explained that the rules for special event licenses for breweries has recently changed and at this point someone calling the Department of Liquor is likely to get different answers depending on who they talk to. Since the last meeting Mr. Gottshall and Mr. Czok have talked and they agree that there should not be any issue.
- Conservation Committee – tabled until the next meeting.
- Masterson reported that five Better Road Grants applications were submitted last week. There are three more grant applications being prepared. The State Structure grant for Tannenburg Bridge is ready to submit. The safety equipment grant from VLCT is being worked on, and Mr. Masterson is planning on submitting a Class Two Road Grant application. As for the status of the roads, it has turned colder again, so the roads aren’t as muddy right now.
- ATV Club- signs were discussed, and agreed on.
- Town Hall Heating/Plumbing: The Board reviewed the summary of what Gillespie’s said should be looked at regarding the heating system at the Town Hall, and Ms. Brassard passed Mr. Skarrow’s assessment along as well. The Board agreed that nothing needs to be done at this point in time.
- Brassard advised that since she accepts postmarks there could be a few more tax payments arriving by mail which count as being on time. Currently it looks like just over $150,000 will be going delinquent this year, which is in the normal range. The total amount still currently owed for all previous year’s is around $60,000.
- The Telephone Upgrade Grant application has been turned in.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously appointed Jennifer Phipps to the open seat on the Development Review Board for the remainder of the term ending 2018.
- The Board discussed trying a different date or time for Town Meeting Day. The Board agreed to discuss it again the first meeting in September to decide whether or not to put the question on the Warning for Town Meeting Day.
- The following building projects, for FY18, were discussed. Haupt will start drafting RFP’s.
- Town Office Window Replacement
- Update Town Office Insulation
- Remove Town Office Fuel Tank/Replace Furnace/Zone Heating
- Garage Door, Mr. Masterson will do the RFP on the garage door.
- Assistant Job Description has been reviewed and redrafted.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved going into executive session to discuss a legal issue and an employee issue, under the authority of 1 VSA 313(a)(1), and 1 VSA 313(a)(3).
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board came out of Executive Session.
No action was taken regarding the legal issue.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved terminating Mark White as the Emergency Management Director.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:53 pm.