October 17, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Linda Lubold, WRVA Rep.
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Jessie Brassard, Treasurer
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
Review of Agenda: the Board added Lemery Road Bridge under the highway report, and removed “approved the town plan” from the agenda.
Citizen’s Comments – none.
- Ms. Lubold, the White River Valley Ambulance Rep. (WRVA), provided the Board with the semi-annual report. WRVA is hosting EMT classes. The have hired an executive director and an administrative assistant. The new Rochester Board member is retired from hospital administration and is going to become the new president of the WRVA Board.
- Highway Report: Mr. Bent brought up that Lemery Road Bridge’s center is getting torn up by the snowmobiles. Mr. Masterson will talk with the snowmobile club about putting some planks down the center.
- The Highway Department is installing underdrain and replacing culverts on Braintree Hill Road between Rose Road and Rolling Rock Road. Mr. Masterson mentioned a spring in the road, they dug down eight feet and hasn’t found any pipes. They put rock in place under the road. The work doesn’t seem to have disturbed the water running into the pond. Mr. Masterson advised the Board that the culvert installation on Thayer Brook Road could occur next Monday and Tuesday. He has collected three direct bids. JL Smith was the lowest at $2,500. Which is under the amount which would require a formal bid process. Mr. Masterson plans to contract with J.L. Smith to do the work on Monday.
- There was some money left in the grant-in aid program on Bent Hill Road. Mr. Masterson has received permission to use some of it to install band rail along that section. It will cost about $2,560.
- The 2009 International Truck is at Clarks’ Truck Center have some minor work done on it before winter.
- Mr. Masterson is seeking paving estimates for around Thresher Road Bridge, and Riford Brook Road Bridges to go in next year’s budget.
- Mr. Masterson and Mr. Haupt talked some about work that is needed on Rocky Farm Road.
- Financial Report: the Board reviewed the financials.
Ms. Brassard asked the Board about the tools the Conservation Commission has purchased. The tools have been left with her, and she doesn’t want to manage them. Ms. O’Toole will talk with Mr. Cooch about it.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously appointed Mr. Caulfield as the Fire Advisory Representative.
- TRORC Representative is needed.
- EC Fiber Representative is needed.
- Town Office Projects
- Telephone System- tabled until the next meeting.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved installing a 400 series window in the Clerk’s office so that the hearing system can be installed.
- FY 2019 Budget discussed briefly
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt the Board voted to accept Mr. Palmer’s retirement from the Highway Department. They thanked him for his many years of service to the Town with all the many positions he has served in and wish him well.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board voted to advertise the open position in the newspaper. Mr. Bent abstained, the other four members voted in favor of the motion.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved applying for the grant though the state for the Local Hazard Mitigation Plan.
- As Zoning Administrator Ms. Jarvis asked if she could ask the Town Attorney for advice or questions. The Board agreed.
- Mr. Masterson suggested that the Town Hall parking lot should have a top coat of pavement to stop the cracks that are starting to form. An estimate for the work may be available for the next meeting.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved going into executive session as per 1 V.S.A. 313(a)(3) to discuss personnel issue.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved coming out of executive session at 7:17pm. No decisions were made.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:17 pm.