Oct 062017
 

Approved Minutes

Braintree Selectboard Meeting

October 3, 2017

 

Present:

Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident

Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Paul Kendall, Stagecoach Representative

Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant

Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner

 

Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6pm.  

 

The Board reviewed the agenda, adding the Highway Report, the WRVA Representative Report was tabled, and Mr. Doane’s resignation was added.

 

On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of September 19, 2017.

 

Citizen’s Comments- none.

 

Reports

  • Mr. Kendall, the Stagecoach Representative, provided the semi-annual report. He advised that the merger between Stagecoach and ACTR has gone smoothly. Stagecoach is working on making some changes in new routes/schedules. They are also starting to move away from a taxi-type service to a deviated fixed-route service. The latter allows people to call and schedule a pick-up at a time that fits into the deviated fixed route, or be at the bus stop when the bus will be there. There will be a maximum wait time of five minutes, so riders should be ready and attentive to the arrival of the bus.  This change may take some time for people who used the old service to get used to, but with the new schedules, previous users should be able to make the schedules work most of the time. They welcome feedback about the changes and want to make their services most effective.  Ms. O’Toole commented that the new commuter route schedule works with her schedule and that she, along with a number of her co-workers, enjoys riding the bus to work now.
  • Highway Report: Braintree Hill Road between Rose Road and Rolling Rock Road will be closed starting Oct. 10th. The work on Bent Hill Road with the Grants In-Aid Pilot Program is done. The Highway Department will soon be working on Walker Road. Mr. Masterson asked the Board if he should close out the Thayer Brook Road Grant now and apply for another one next year, try and get it done this year, or try and get an extension. The Board agreed that continuing to try and get it done this year makes sense. Mr. Bowen read Kevin Hall’s letter in support of Mr. Masterson and the Highway Department.

Old Business

 

  • On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the Stage Coach Road Ordinance.

 

      • The Surveyor asked if it is ok to put survey markers along the center of the road (they will be flush with the road). He also asked if the 1 rod (16.5 feet) trail will be centered along the original center of the road. The Board agreed to both points.

 

  • Town Office Project

 

    • Ms. Brassard joined the meeting via speakerphone for heating system conversation. The Board reviewed the estimates from David Royce for $5,615, and Randolph Coal and Oil for $4,940. The work in both proposals is exactly the same.  Ms. Brassard asked about the window where the heater will need to be installed. Mr. Haupt will get some estimates and select a contractor to replace the window in the front office with a smaller one. It was agreed to install the propane tank behind the Office instead of running a line from the Garage tanks to the Office. There is uncertainty about the location of the leach field for the Office. It seemed wise to avoid any chance of digging into it. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board approved contracting with David Royce for the heater installations (Mr. Bowen, Mr. Burson, and Ms. O’Toole approved the motion, Mr. Haupt abstained).
    • The phone system was briefly discussed. Mr. Haupt talked to the phone system contractor about the possibility of installing the conduit in the attic. They won’t be doing that additional part of the job. A different contractor will be selected for it.  
  • Nathan Cleveland is considering if he would be willing to be the TRORC Representative.
  • Nathan Cleveland is considering if he would be willing to be the EC Fiber Alternate.
  • Mr. Doane resigned as the Fire Advisory Repressive. The Board talked briefly about who might be willing to fill the position.

 

New Business

  • The Board reviewed the Insurance – Property & Worker’s Compensation renewal information.
  • The Board discussed speeding on Murphy Road and if changing the speed limit might help. A speed study for 2007 showed that most drivers drove at a reasonable speed on the road, but there were a few outliers who drove over 60 mph. This is likely to still be the cause. There will be no change to the existing speed limit of 35 MPH.
  • The Board briefly discussed the FY 2019 Budget. Ms. O’Toole and Mr. Bowen will work on it. Mr. Masterson will start to get together a highway budget.

 

On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.

 

On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant