Braintree Selectboard Meeting
September 5, 2017
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Julia Haupt, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member David Atkinson, Former Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Janice Thresher, Resident
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member Bob Moyer, Planning Commission Chair
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Jessie Brassard, Treasurer
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 6 pm.
Review of Agenda: Mr. Bowen added emergency management and the phone grant under Reports. Mr. Haupt asked that there be an executive session for personnel matters added to the end of the meeting.
Approve Minutes: On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of August 15, 2017.
- Haupt asked about a deep ditch across from Tannenburg Road, on the inside corner of Riford Brook Road by her house. Mr. Masterson will take a look at it. She asked about the potholes along Riford Brook Road. The Highway Department has plans to add gravel.
- Haupt provided a report on behalf of Lindsay Haupt, the Health Officer regarding the tenant/landlord she has been working with on Duclos Road. The State Fire Marshall and Electrical Inspector have been called and inspected the rental unit, adding to the list of necessary repairs. The home owner is cooperating, currently working on making the needed repairs.
- Highway Report: The Highway Department would like to start 8 hour days again next week. The Board agreed. All that is needed to finish the intersection of Route 12 and Farnsworth Brook Road is the paving markers for the stop sign. The ditch work on Bent Hill Road by Stockwell’s, being done through the Grant in Aid Program, has been started.
- Bowen advised that he and Mr. Caulfield have talked about the Town’s Emergency Planning status. Mr. Caulfield is currently looking for a few more Zone Coordinators. Once those positions have been filled Mr. Caulfield and the Board will meet with them to make sure everyone is on the same page about their duties/roles. The Zone Coordinators, along with Selectboard Members who have not already done so will need to take the ICS-100 class. The Emergency Operating plan is up to date. Mr. Caulfield is also going to talk with the new school maintenance person about the Braintree Elementary School as a shelter. Mr. Caulfield is interested in getting a drill set up when a few more of the details are in order. Mr. Caulfield is working on the phone system currently.
- Caulfield has resigned as the Braintree’s Alternate Representative to ECFiber. For now Mr. Evans will continue as Braintree’s Representative, but he is finding it difficult to make the meetings, so a new Representative will be needed.
- The Board reviewed Jim Barlow’s agreement for legal services. Mr. Bowen signed the agreement on behalf of the Board.
- Stagecoach Trail update: O’Toole has contacted Mr. Townsend about the survey but has not heard back yet. The “NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT” signs have come in. Ms. O’Toole will update the ordinance for the Board’s review.
- Town Office Projects – Heat. Colder weather is coming and the new heating system needs to be installed. A couple of bids will be solicited, and a contractor picked, instead of going out to bid for the heating system again.
- The Class 3&4 Roads issue was tabled.
- Planning Commission Grant: the Town Plan expired a week and half ago. The Planning Commission is close to having the energy plan and flood resiliency section ready for the plan update. They have not been able to do an overall update of the plan the way they would like to. So they are asking the Board to apply for a Municipal Planning Grant for next year. The Town share of the grant will be about $1,000. They anticipate holding a hearing next month to hear comments about the current draft of the plan, likely passing it along to the Selectboard for a hearing the following month (November). On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the application for the Municipal Planning Grant.
- Brainstorm Road was discussed. Ms. O’Toole will talk with Jim Barlow about what needs to be done about the corner which was unofficially changed more than 20 years ago.
- Someone is needed as Braintree Representative to Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission (TRORC).
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board went into executive session to discuss personnel issues [per 1 V.S.A. 313(a)(3)]. There was no action taken upon coming out of executive session.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:05 pm.