Braintree Selectboard Meeting
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Linda Lubold, WRVA Rep
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Stuart Kinney, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Matt Murawski, Re: Running race in Braintree
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Zac Freeman, Re: B357- Braintree Bluegrass Brunch
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistance
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Jessie Brassard, Town Clerk
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 5:59 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda adding lease land to the agenda under new business.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from September 18, 2018.
- Mr. Kinney asked why J.L. Smith is doing the work at the old Dustin pit. Mr. Masterson explained that he had his excavator extracting the big trees. The Highway Department will be doing the rest of the work. Mr. Kinney also asked if the sand pile was going to be ready for winter. Mr. Masterson assured everyone that it will be.
- Mr. Freeman and Mr. Murawski talked to the Board about combining a local running race with the Braintree 357. Some details were discussed. The Board agreed to the plan.
- The winter parking lot for the RASTA trails was briefly talked about, and Mr. Freeman said they are making plans to have the parking lot plowed this winter
- Ms. Brassard passed a few citizens comments along that she had heard from residents when they stopped in the office:
- A person who works for VTrans mentioned that the recent work along Braintree Hill Road by Sevigny’s looks really good.
- Another resident mentioned a few things she would like to see on the website. She agreed to take a closer look at it and jot down her suggestions. Ms. Brassard will pass it along when she gets it.
- Ms. Brassard suggested putting together a page of positive citizens’ comments in the Town Report this year and Ms. O’Toole mentioned a training she went to which suggested ways to make a Town Report more interesting to residents. Town Meeting was briefly discussed. A group will be formed of those who are interested in planning for town meeting and updating the town report.
- Ms. Lubold provided the semi-annual report for WRVA. Their Director was called up on active military duty. The Interim Director has been with the organization for quite some time and working well. He is making some positive changes. They are running another EMT class, which is free for anyone in the WRVA service area.
- Mr. Masterson provided the Highway Report.
- Update on Health Order: Mr. Simpson signed for the Health Order via certified mail on Sept. 24. It is likely he received the same notice by regular mail on Sept. 20th. A reinspection and the inspection of the other apartments by the fire marshal, electrical inspector and town health officer is scheduled for Oct. 17th. It was discussed. The Board decided to talk more about next steps in executive session at the end of the meeting.
- Winter maintenance policy was reviewed. The Board will review it again at the next meeting after Mr. Burson and Mr. Masterson make additional changes.
- Phone system- Ms. O’Toole was able to talk with Mr. Knapp. The idea of changing the system so that the analog lines are the ones used first, instead of the voice over internet lines, was talked about. The caller ID will show the phone number called out on, not the main number to call, so that could cause confusion. It would cost about $100.00 for the switch over. A few more concerns were discussed. Ms. O’Toole will talk with Mr. Knapp again.
- Town Office projects:
- The baseboard trim in the town office is just about done.
- Ms. Brassard talked with the Board about the piping which needs to be reorganized in the old furnace room and the possibility of changing out the hot water heater.
- Ms. Brassard reported on the status of the paperwork for the heat pumps. On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board approved signing the Corporate Resolution which gives Ms. Brassard the authority to enter into an agreement for the heat pump program.
- Mr. Haupt recommended sealing the chimney. He noticed that it is growing moss.
- Hydroseeder – tabled, waiting for information from Mr. Bent.
- Ms. O’Toole has reached out to the other Town Officials to start the budget process. She needs to hear back from the conservation commission, cemetery commission and highway department.
- Mr. Burson advised that the law recently changed regarding old Town Lease Lands. The Town can release all of the lease lands in town pursuant to Act 152 (2018). Regardless, the lease lands will automatically be released in 2020. Mr. Burson will provide more information to the Board at the next meeting.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved going into executive session under 1 VSA Section 313(a)(1)(e).
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved coming out of executive session. No action taken.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved adjourning the meeting at 7:45 PM.