Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 21, 2018
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Janice Thresher, Resident
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Julie Haupt, Resident
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Justin Poulin, Resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Jackson Evans, ECFiber Rep. for Braintree
Carole Monroe, ECFiber
Dannielle Mumma, ECFiber
Tim Caulfield, EMD
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Jessie Brassard, Treasurer
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
Review of agenda: the Board added the phone system under old business.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from August 7, 2018.
- Caulfield asked about the Town’s policy regarding removal of rock walls or preservation of them when completing road work. This was discussed with the Board and the Road Commissioner. The Road Commissioner explained that removal of historic rock walls is avoided when possible.
- Caulfield asked about tree cutting beyond the Town’s right of way when completing road work. This was discussed with the Board and Road Commissioner. The Road Commissioner explained that tree cutting beyond the ROW only occurs with the landowners permission and when such work is directly related to improvement of a town road.
- Poulin advised that there are two survey pins below the Sherman’s camp on the Stagecoach Trail, the tops of which are flush with the surface of the road. Mr. Haupt will contact the surveyors and ask that the pins be moved 6 inches below the surface of the road.
- Caulfield and the Board agreed that Braintree Emergency Management should accept the invitation to participate in an upcoming Randolph / Vermont Emergency Management tabletop exercise.
- The Braintree Emergency Operations Center now has a weather station radio, but the reception in this area is particularly bad. Mr. Caulfield is planning on looking into a radio antenna for it. He will bring a proposal back to the Board.
- Caulfield asked the Board about talking to Randolph to see if a plan to have each other’s emergency operations centers be the other Town’s backup (can be agreed on). The Board was in favor of the conversation starting and Mr. Caulfield will contact Randolph about this idea.
- Evans and Ms. Monroe provided the ECFiber semi-annual report. It will likely be the end of the year before more Braintree residents are connected.
- On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the ROW permit application for ECFiber to install poles on Riford Brook Road.
- Masterson provided the Highway Report.
- It was noted that the cars on West Street now seem to be parked out of the road , for the most part. They may still cause problems with plowing this winter because they are still very close to the travel way. Ms. Brassard brought up a new concern about cars being parked in the road on Bent Hill Road. A letter will be written to the owners asking that the cars be removed.
- The Board discussed the status of the draft winter maintenance policy. A draft of the policy will be discussed at the next meeting.
- O’Toole shared with the Board what she had learned about ticketing by the Town Constable to enforce Town ordinances. She will continue working to get him a ticket book.
- The phone issues were discussed.
- The office projects were discussed.
New business – none
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment order.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board adjourned the meeting at 7:00 pm.