Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 7, 2018
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Linda Grimes, Resident
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Janice Thresher, Resident
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Stuart Kinney, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jessica Brassard, Treasurer
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda: adding a concern about bees.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of July 17, 2018.
- Ms. Thresher asked about the settlement agreement with the Poulins and the Simpsons regarding the Stagecoach Trail. It was summarized.
- Mr. Kinney- asked a number of questions:
- Why a number of town vehicles are being parked outside on a regular basis?
- Why the old tractor is being used for mowing now that the Town has another one?
- The board explained that both tractors are being used with both mowers to catch-up on road side mowing in town. The old tractor is still for sale.
- He commented that the recently resurfaced roads are nice, but that they are narrower than before.
His questions & comments were discussed.
- The semi-annual report of the emergency management director was reviewed.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved reappointment of Mr. Tim Caulfield as the Emergency Management Director, Derek O’Toole as the Deputy Emergency Management Director and reapproved both of the delegation of authorities for Fiscal Year 2019.
- The highway report was reviewed.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the application for the water line installation across Connecticut Corners Road at Heinz Rathmann & Ellen Fox’s property.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board approved the State’s Structures grant agreement for Tannenburg Bridge (Mr. Bent voted against the motion, the other four Board members voted in favor of the motion).
- Old business
- Trash and environmental issues on West Street were discussed. The State Environmental Division has done a site visit; they found no violations. The State Police will continue to be called when cars are parked in the road. Ms. O’Toole will look into the possibility of the town adopting a junk and junk car ordinance as many other towns do in Vermont, and the ability of the town’s constable to issue tickets for violations of ordinances.
- New business
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the internal controls checklist for FY 2018.
- A concern about a beekeeper’s honey bees swarming around a swimming pool was brought to the Board’s attention. The Health Officer and Constable have been looking into it. The situation was discussed by the Board along with what the Health Officer and Constable have learned. It was determined that the town has no authority over the activity whether or not the bees are domestic or wild.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:00 pm.