Braintree Selectboard Meeting
Nov. 20, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Tom Cooch, Conservation Commission Chair
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Bob Moyer, DRB Chair
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Jessie Brassard, Treasurer
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Kegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 5:58 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda, adding a discussion about the payment for the new truck under the Highway Report, and an inquiry from ORCA media service under new business.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from November 7, 2018.
Citizen’s comments – none.
- Moyer provided the semi-annual report for the Development Review Board.
- Cooch reported on the Conservation Commission’s finding regarding the Emerald Ash Borer. They have surveyed a portion of Braintree’s roads and estimated that there are between 2,500 and 3,000 ash trees in the right of way of the Town roads. They estimate that if 40% of those trees are cut down it would cost around $485,000. If 10% of them are cut down it would cost $120,000. They anticipate ash tree will start dying in Braintree around five years from now, with 90% of the ash trees dying within five years of that. They also indicated that they are not aware of any “heritage” ash trees within the right of way of Braintree’s roads. The Commission did provide some insight into options, but did not make a recommendation.
- Masterson provided the Highway Report.
- Brassard talked with the Board about the status of the new truck loan.
- We are continuing to try and find a solution to the problems with the phone system.
- Town Office projects update:
- Brassard talked about the status of the heat pumps.
- Budget planning: wage adjustments will be discussed in executive session. The other lines are in progress.
- The Board agreed to keep the health insurance the same as last year.
- ORCA asked if the Selectboard would be interested in having them record and air Braintree’s Selectboard meeting. The Board agreed to decline the offer.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved going into executive session to discuss employee matters in accordance with 1VSA section 313(a)(3).
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:35 pm.