Braintree Selectboard Meeting
September 18, 2018
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Tom Cooch, Conservation Commission Chair
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda: removing lease land and the phone system from the agenda, because there was nothing new regarding either subject.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bowen, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from September 4, 2018.
Citizen’s comments- none
- Tom Cooch’s report of the Conservation Commission was about invasive species, vernal pools, and the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB). The Conservation Commission will provide the Selectboard with an estimate of how much it will cost to take care of the ash trees in the right of way of the road as they die from the EAB. They may suggest setting up a reserve fund to cover the cost of cutting those trees. Ms. O’Toole suggested that the tree cutting policy should be reconsidered, to determine if, in light of the likelihood that a mass die off of ash trees will occur, any modifications should be made. She also indicated that perhaps the legislature will be reviewing the antiquated “public tree” laws, and making changes. Those changes will need to be taken into consideration.
- Masterson provided the Highway Report: a few of the ongoing projects were discussed.
- A letter was reviewed and will be sent regarding the cars parked in the road on West Street.
- The winter maintenance policy was tabled until the next meeting.
- Town Office projects
- The status of the heat pumps was discussed. We are the first municipality going through Green Mountain Power’s program, and are running into some problems. It is unclear at this point if they will be resolved, or if a different funding mechanism will need to be selected.
- O’Toole will be meeting with the Randolph Town Manager, a Selectboard Member from Brookfield, and the Recreational Manager, next week regarding joint recreational planning. She will be able to report on it at the next meeting.
- New business
- The hydroseeder was tabled.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting.