Braintree Selectboard Meeting
February 19, 2019
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Tim Caulfield, EMD
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda. The emergency phone set-up was moved to the beginning of the meeting. An update about ambulance service, and a discussion about gravel was added.
On motion Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from February 5, 2019.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved minutes from January 24, 2019.
Citizen’s comments – none.
Mr. Caulfield requested approval to purchase another desk phone for when the emergency operation center is open at the Town Office, and explained the plan for how to set up the phone system so that it can easily be switched over to the emergency mode. On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the purchase of a desk phone and headset for up to $400.
- Highway report:
- Mr. Masterson anticipates the Town needing more gravel than what is stockpiled for mud season this year. There is currently an opportunity to prepay up to 4,000 yards of gravel, and get a lower than normal price. The town trucks would be able to pick up the gravel from the pit as needed. On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved purchasing up to 4,000 yards to be trucked by the Town as needed. Any not used for mud season can be used for the summer time re-graveling which is planned.
- Fire service bill update: Ms. O’Toole will be meeting with Mr. Bailon, Mr. DeCubellis, and Mr. Hildenbrand on March 14th to discuss the increased rate due to the bond for the new fire station.
- Town office projects update: the heat pumps are installed and are working. The hot water heater is in the works.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the edits to the Winter Maintenance Policy.
- The Board reviewed and signed the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Agreement.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved and signed the heat pump rebate form.
- Ms. O’Toole briefly explained that Randolph is considering contracting with Northfield for ambulance service, and is asking Braintree if we would want to do so also. Ms. Lubold, Braintree’s Representative on the White River Valley Ambulance’s Board, is invited to talk with the Board about it at the next meeting. A more compressive conversation is planned for the next meeting.
- The plans to get the word out that Town Meeting is on Saturday this year was briefly discussed, along with Town Meeting Day preparations.
- The Board thanked Mr. Bowen for his service on the Board as he has indicated that he will not run again this Town Meeting Day, so this will be his last regular Selectboard meeting. He will be missed.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 6:56 pm.