Braintree Selectboard Meeting
February 5, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Tim Caulfield, EMD
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Member Paul Kendall, Re: LaRocque Road
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Kevin LaRocque, Re: LaRocque Road
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Aaron LaRocque, Re: LaRocque Road
Zak Freeman, Re: LaRocque Road
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
Review of agenda, a review of the financials were added.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from January 15, 2019.
LaRocque Road was discussed.
- The public concern is for safety for those using the road. Some skiers using ski trails on the property of the New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) and Paul Kendall have chosen to deviate from the trail to LaRocque Road. The current plan that is being negotiated between the landowners is for the Rochester/Randolph Area Sports Trails Alliance (RASTA) to create a new route across NEFF’s and Mr. Kendall’s land, and close the trail which crosses LaRocque Road near Mr. Aaron LaRocque’s property. This proposed route would keep skiers further from Mr. Aaron LaRocque’s house and keep the skiers off the road away from cars. The snow needs to be mostly gone before the trees along the proposed route can be cut, and the trail prepared.
- To assuage the problems temporarily RASTA has put out signs asking that the trail users keep off the road, respect Mr. LaRocque’s private property, and be quiet when skiing past his house. Some additional private matters between Mr. Aaron LaRocque, NEFF, and Mr. Paul Kendall regarding how to reroute trail users way from Mr. Aaron LaRocques house, and the preferred method for NEFF to access the land beyond Mr. Aaron LaRocques’ house for forestry management & trail management purposes, were brought up at the meeting. Mr. Kendall suggested that a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) may be in order between the three parties regarding the private matters. He is interested in having the Selectboard recognize the MOU. The Board made it clear that any such “recognition” would not provide any change in the MOU’s legal standing, or the Town’s responsibility and is solely a private matter..
- Mr. Aaron LaRocque asked about discontinuing LaRocque Road. It was noted that a petition of the voters can start the process to discontinue the road. Mr. Kevin LaRocque asked about using a different access to Mr. Aaron LaRocque’s house and stopping personal maintenance of the 4th class town road which is currently how he accesses his property. It was noted that unless the road is actually discontinued it would remain a public access, even if it is not maintained. A bridge that was in the Town’s legal trail, but was washed out in Hurricane Irene, was discussed. If someone wants to install one in its place they will need to get permission from the Selectboard and approval of the design from the Road Foreman.
- The Selectboard would like to be kept in the loop about the public concerns regarding LaRocque Road.
- Mr. Caulfield provided the Board a draft of an insert for the Town Report to giving people information about emergency information and looking for volunteers.
- Mr. Masterson reported that the new truck was picked up today.
- The parking issue on West Street was discussed. One of the cars was able to be moved some. The Selectboard may want to consider a parking ordinance.
- The financial report was reviewed.
- Phone system update: the problems with the echo may be resolved. We will continue to monitor the situation.
- Town office projects update: the process of getting the heat pumps installed is continuing.
- Editing the Winter Maintenance Policy was tabled. Mr. Burson will provide edits ahead of the next meeting.
- The FY’21 Transportation Capital Projects Prioritization from TRORC was reviewed.
- The Board reviewed the changes in the insurance coverage documents for 2019.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously re-appointed Loren Bent as the Fire Warden for 5 years.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved moving the March 5th meeting to March 6th at 6:00 pm.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved adjourning the meeting 7:30 pm.