May 242019
 

Approved Minutes

Braintree Selectboard Meeting

May 21, 2019

Present:

Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Kris Haupt, Cemetery Commission Chair

Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member Julia Haupt, Resident

Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Aaron LaRocque, Re: LaRocque Road

Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Kevin LaRocque, Re: LaRocque Road

Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner

Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant

Jessie Brassard, Treasurer

Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.

The Board reviewed the agenda,, adding an executive session at the end of the meeting.

On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously approved the regular meeting minutes of May 5, 2019, and the hearing minutes of May 5, 2019.

Citizen’s comments:

  • The status of LaRocque Road was discussed. The Board is looking into the facts surrounding the legal trail and discussing them with the Town’s attorney. Ms. O’Toole plans to sit down and talk with the parties involved individually to get a better understanding of their concerns. The next step may be to hire a surveyor.
  • A concerned citizen asked about the Town contracting with the Orange County Sheriff to stop speeders and occasionally check on a few of the party spots in town.  The Board will look into it.

Guests

  • Mr. Kris Haupt provided the Board the Semi-annual report of the Cemetery Commission. The Commissioners did their own spring cleanup and reset a number of stones. They plan to start discussing next year’s budget shortly.

Reports

  • The Highway report was reviewed. Mr. Masterson talked with the Board about starting the permanent work on the roads that were damaged by the April flooding [other than Braintree Hill Road, as that has already been worked on.] The Board agreed with Mr. Masterson that the Highway Department should not wait for FEMA’s review to complete the work. The work on Craig Hill road was also briefly discussed.

Old business

  • Old Truck(s): Mr. Burson will set up a meeting with Mr. Masterson to explain what he and Mr. Keegan Haupt have talked about.

New business

  • The heating fuel tank at the Town Hall was discussed. It will be looked into more.
  • Ms. Brassard talked to the Board about how a fuel assistance fund might work. The way she pictures it, is that we would work with a few of the local organizations that are qualified to determine financial need, and have the donated funds be a last resort option for residents who have exhausted all other options. Ms. Brassard will check to see if other towns have a model for such a fund.
  • On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously accepted Randolph’s counter offer for fire service.  
  • Tannenburg bridge contract was reviewed and there are a few minor changes to make.
  • The Board considered participating in the NRCS grant. The letter indicating that the Town will participate in the program will be prepared for the next meeting.
  • The warranties on the newer town vehicles were discussed. We have some extended warranties on the loader, but not a comprehensive one. It is too late to get one. The extended warranty for the pickup truck was previously approved but not purchased yet. This will get done. The warranty for the Mack will be looked into further.
  • On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board went into executive session under 1 V.S.A. § 313(a)(1)(E). On coming out of executive session, no decisions were made.
  • On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting.

Respectfully submitted,

Holly Jarvis