May 102019
 

Unapproved Minutes

Braintree Selectboard Meeting

May 5, 2019

Present:                                                                                                                        Kris Haupt, Resident

Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair                                                Aaron LaRocque, Re: LaRocque Road

Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member                                        Kevin LaRocque, Re: LaRocque Road

Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member                                                                       Bob Moyer, DRB chair

Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member                                                           Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant

Loren Bent, Selectboard Member                                                       Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner

Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.

The Board reviewed the agenda adding a discussion regarding a planning commission resignation.

Approve minutes

  • On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of April 16, 2019 and May 1, 2019.

Citizens’ comments:

  • Mr. LaRocque provided the Board with a copy of a trail map, indicating that the yellow markers on it are the coordinates they got from the State which the Town submitted in 2010 when accepting legal trail #10 during the ancient road process. The blue markers are where the trail is on the landscape.  Mr. Aaron LaRocque is asking that LT-10 be discontinued because it doesn’t exist where the trail is that was laid out in 1878, nor the trail that LT-10 was based on when added back to the highway map in 2010. The LaRocques are also asking for a site visit. The Board will look into this with VTrans and the Town’s attorney. Mr. Aaron LaRocque indicated that he is currently stopping public access on the trail because he claims that it was laid out illegally.
  • Mr. Kris Haupt indicated that Jason Handiworks is getting ready to mow the cemeteries. In the past he has mowed the grass triangle in the middle of “Benoir Corners” section (Braintree Hill Road and Hockman Hill Road intersection). It has a lot of stones and sticks in it this year, and needs cleaning up before it can be mowed. The Board agreed with asking Jason Handiworks to do it (Mr. Haupt will talk to him about it).
  • Mr. Kris Haupt also asked about closing Morse Road, as no one lives out there, and a lot of debris gets left from parties out there. This will be looked into. If it can’t be closed, since it is a class 3 road, reclassifying it will be discussed with the landowner.

Guests

  • Semi-annual report of the DRB: Bob Moyer – there haven’t been any hearings for the last six months.

Reports

  • The Board reviewed the Highway report. It was noted that Mr. Masterson would like to try to get a hay bale shredder with the new Grant in Aid Equipment grant.
  • Mr. Masterson reported he has received authorization to move the Grant in Aid project from Thayer Brook Road to Braintree Hill Road to a section between the washouts. This grant will cover stone lined ditches and some culvert replacements. It focuses on improving drainage.
  • Mr. Masterson reported that the paving projects for this summer have gone out to bid twice this year and no one has bid.  The railroad had contacted him and is interested in coordinating the paving project on Riford Brook Road with work they plan to do on the crossing. Mr. Masterson will contact a number of paving companies and try and get the project organized.
  • The Board reviewed and discussed Mr. Bailon’s explanation of Randolph’s reason to consider reclassifying or discontinuing Jackson Road. Ms. O’Toole will work with Mr. Masterson to create a response. 
  • Update on phone system – the changes to the phone system for the emergency operation center went well.

Old business

  • Old Truck(s) tabled until the next meeting.

New business 

  • Mr. Caulfield resignation from the Fire Advisory Board. Mr. Bent and Ms. O’Toole will go to the next meeting.
  • On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board voted unanimously to appoint Carolyn Egeli as Braintree’s representative on the TRORC Board.
  • ●         On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board appointed Mr. Burson, as the primary signer and Mr. McMeekin as the backup signer of payment order between meetings.
  • Ms. O’Toole reported that she received an email from Nate Cleveland resigning from the Planning Commission. The Board discussed who might be interested in filling that position.

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved payment orders. 

On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:07 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Holly Jarvis