Braintree Selectboard Meeting
November 21, 2017
Richard Bowen, Selectboard Chair Brian Jones, Resident
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Member
Mr. Bowen called the meeting to order at 5:55 pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda, adding a letter from a Braintree resident, and an update about the search for an ECFiber representative and TRORC representative.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment order.
On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of November 7, 2017.
- The Cemetery Commission’s report was tabled until the Selectboard meeting on Dec. 19th, as requested by the Chair of the Commission.
- Financial Report- there were none to review at this meeting.
- Mr. Masterson reported that grant requests for three Better Road Grants have been submitted. He asked the Board if they wish to pursue a State Structures Grant for Tannenburg Road Bridge. The Board discussed other possible uses for such a grant and agreed with Mr. Masterson that the State Structures Grant application for this year should be for the Tannenburg Bridge replacement. Mr. Masterson reported that the Highway Department is still trying to change the backup alarm for the new loader. The factory installed alarm is loud and nearby residents have complained about the noise. The dealer has yet to come up with a quieter alarm which works with this loader’s system. The Board also discussed with Mr. Masterson the possibility of purchasing a different tractor.
- There were no suggestions for an ECFiber representative, or a TRORC representative.
- Town Office Projects
- The telephone system was discussed. The Board agreed to wait and see if the change order for the grant is approved before going forward with the telephone system installation. It will be discussed at the next meeting.
- A contractor to do the door replacements has not been selected.
- There has not been much progress on the heating system. Mr. Haupt will inquire about the status of the elements of the project with the contractors. The propane tanks have been installed.
- On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved staying with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont this year. The cost shares will be the same as presented at the last meeting, with the Blue Rewards Gold CDHP plan being the base plan. The cost share being a 90/10 split of the premiums, and the contributions to the Health Reimbursement Account being 2/3 of the out of pocket max of that plan.
- A letter to the Select Board members, which was delivered via the drop box at the clerk’s office, indicating that it is from “A concerned Braintree Resident” was read, and discussed. It was regarding a camper at Lucinda Brown’s property. The Listers and the Zoning Administrator have been made aware of the concerns. The proper State officials will also be made aware of the resident’s concerns regarding the septic system. Mr. Masterson has reviewed the situation, and does not feel it will cause issues with road maintenance.
- The Board reviewed the current draft of the FY19 budget.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved going into Executive Session as per 1 V.S.A. 313(a)(3) to Discuss Personnel Issues.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously agreed to consider Bernard Lefebvre temporarily full-time until a new full-time Highway Department member can be hired.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved paying Larry Benoir, the Tree Warden, $15 per call regarding a tree.
- On motion of Mr. Bowen, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 8:20 pm.
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant