Braintree Selectboard Meeting
September 3, 2019
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chair Thomas Cooch, Conservation Commission Chair
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member Brian Jones, resident
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Janice Thresher, resident
Julia Haupt, resident
Holly Jarvis, Admin. Assistant
Jeff Masterson, Road Commissioner
Jessie Brassard, Town Clerk
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
The Board reviewed the agenda. The Board added a utility permit for ECFiber to install cable in an underground crossing on Brainstorm Road for the Kennedy’s property to the agenda. Also added to the agenda was the issue of moving the meetings in October.
Citizen’s comments – none
- Mr. Cooch provided the semi-annual report of the Conservation Commission. The commission has had two main focuses in the last six months. Which were combating Poison Parsnip on Route 12, in conjunction with the Randolph and Brookfield Conservation Commissions, and maintaining and improving of the Thayer Brook Natural Area. They have also published a couple newsletters, reviewed the results of the roadside spraying, and talked with the Planning Commission some about a wildlife corridor they are considering.
- Mr. Masterson indicated that the Highway Department has been doing general maintenance and ditching. The paving projects are almost done.
- The Board reviewed the one bid which came in for the excavator work for the Bent Hill Road project. On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved J.L. Smith’s bid of $12,950.
- The Board considered a contract with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. Two questions had been looked into. The first one was, does the town gets the fines from speeding tickets on 12A or 12? The answer was no, the Town only gets the proceeds from tickets on Town roads. The seconded question was, is it possible to get reports about the services provided to Braintree. The answer was yes, reports are automatically provided. Mr. Bent asked if our speed limit signs are currently adequate for enforcement. This will be looked into.
- Dog Ordinance – was tabled.
- Extended warranty for the Mack – was tabled.
- Update on the tractor auction: Mr. Burson has learned that the tractor cannot be withdrawn from the auction (as they were originally told), but that a counter offer to the highest bid can be submitted. The tractor’s bid came in at $14,400. The letter from residents, indicating that they think the tractor should not be sold, was reviewed as a part of the conversation. On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board agreed to a counter offer of $25,000. The tractor will be talked about again at the next meeting.
- The Board reviewed and signed the fire service contract.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the utility permit access for ECFiber’s cable to cross Brainstorm Road underground.
- On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved moving their Oct. 1st meeting to Oct. 8th, and their Oct. 15th meeting to Oct. 22nd.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved payment orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, unanimously approved adjourning the meeting. Adjournment was at 6:45 pm.