Braintree Selectboard Meeting
February 16, 2021 at 6:00pm
“In accordance with the recent amendments to Vermont’s open meeting law, and in light of the ongoing public health crisis, this meeting will be held via conference call. You can access the meeting at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present via Remote Conference Calling:
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice Chair
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Janice & Carl Thresher, Town of Braintree Citizens
Kenneth Manning, Owner-Abel Mountain Campground
Adam Lane, President, Lost Nation ATV Club
Present at the Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:03pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with no changes being made.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on February 2, 2021.
Citizen’s comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15 minute maximum –
- Manning stated he had not received written or verbal communication regarding his letter of January 22, 2021 to the Selectboard regarding the snowbank blocking access to the Abel Mountain Campground. Messrs. Burson and Haupt will telephone Mr. Manning on Wednesday, February 17, 2021, to provide the Selectboard’s response.
- Highway Report – There was no Highway Report provided by Mr. Pratt but Mr. Bent informed the Selectboard that the 2021 MACK Truck is built but is awaiting the painting process which may not occur for several weeks due to a backlog on the paint.
- Creation of new Welcome To Town Committee Follow-up – Mr. McMeekin stated that no formal meeting, beyond the initial brief discussion, has occurred or been scheduled at this time.
- RAMAN update from Tim Caulfield – No RAMAN report was provided by Mr. Caulfield. O’Toole stated she had listened to the Governor’s COVID Press Conference and the trends in Vermont are going down. Orange County is holding steady with anywhere from 0-5 cases per day. By Noon today over half of the 70 and over Vermont Residents registered for the COVID Vaccine.
- Review bids for Peth Road project –A quick review of the revised bids from Hilltop Construction LLC and J.L. Smith Excavating occurred.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board approved awarding the Peth Road Project to Hilltop Construction for the bid of $9,945.00 with Mr. Haupt abstaining.
- Lost Nation ATV Club – Mr. Lane spoke with the Selectboard regarding starting the process for the ATV Ordinance earlier than in past years. The Minutes will reflect that the Selectboard is looking for comments from citizens on the ATV Ordinance. The Selectboard will take this discussion up again on the Selectboard’s March 16, 2021 Meeting.
- State of VT Transportation Board Letter Re: Permitting Helipads and Airstrips – This topic was tabled as the Selectboard sees no need for action.
- RASTA BMF trailhead parking and signage – RASTA is planning to place signage that makes it clear that if the parking lot is full then the area and trails are full; that the trails are first come first serve and parking anywhere but in the designated parking lot is illegal and vehicles will be towed at owners expense. Stockwell Towing has been designated as the company performing the towing and their telephone number will be provided on the signs.
Payment orders – Mr. Bent and Mr. McMeekin reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to enter into an Executive Session at 6:29 P.M. for a discussion on a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
At 6:55 pm the board came out of the Executive Session with no decision being made.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 6:55 p.m.
Janice R. Russell