May 072021


Braintree Selectboard Meeting

May 4, 2021 at 6:00 pm


“In accordance with the recent amendments to Vermont’s open meeting law, and in light of the ongoing public health crisis, this meeting will be held via conference call. You can access the meeting at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”


Present via Remote Conference Calling:

Daniel Burson, Vice Selectboard Chairperson                             Robert Moyer, DRB Chairperson

Janice R. Russell, Administrative Assistant                                Gary Blatz, Zoning Administrator 

Jackson Evans, Lister/Green Up Day Coordinator                          Paul Kendall, Braintree Citizen

Janice Thresher, Braintree Citizen


Present at the Town Office:

Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson                                        Loren Bent, Selectboard Member

Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member                         Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member


Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.  A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.  


The Board reviewed the agenda with Mr. Haupt requested the addition of trash on Riford Brook Road under New Business and brush left in a ditch on Fletcher Brook Road under Highway.


On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on April 20, 2021 and the Special Selectboard Meeting on April 27, 2021.


Citizen’s comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15 minute maximum – Janice Thresher questioned why the Executive Session minutes always reflect “No Decision Was Made” instead of “the topic was tabled at this time,” especially if the next Executive Session is regarding the same topic. 



  • Highway Report – The provided report was brief and explained what work the Highway Crew has been completing on the Town Roads.  The grant funded Peth Road Ditch Work began on Monday and will continue through the week.  


On Green-Up Day Mr. Haupt discovered that a property on Farnsworth Brook Road had cut brush and trees along their fence line that fell into the ditch. He did try to remove the materials from the ditch.  The Selectboard will send a letter to the property owner requesting the removal of any materials still in the ditch and a reminder of flood hazards caused by clogged ditches.  

  • Development Review Board Chairperson Report – Mr. Moyer stated that there hasn’t been anything referred to DRB from the Zoning Administrator, Gary Blatz.  DRB would like to meet in person with Mr. Blatz to discuss his position and how it relates to the DRB.
  • Zoning Administrator Report – Mr. Blatz reported that he has approved seven permits already this year.  Permits were for one deck, two garages, two houses and one long term container on a property.  Kevin Hall’s minor sub-division permit application was also completed this year. 


Old business

  • RAMAN Update – As of May 1st, Tim Caulfield stepped back from RAMAN and the Town has no official representative at this time.  Messrs. Haupt and Bent and Ms. O’Toole reviewed the information provided at the Governor’s Press Briefing which informed the public that the daily rates of infections in the State have lowered.   
  • Parcel of forest land for sale in Braintree – Ms. O’Toole has reached out to the Conservation Fund but has not received an answer back.  The broker handling the sale of the property is Fountains Land.


New business

  • Town Hall Rental to for Community Build – Although the Selectboard believes this is a very worthy effort it believes the Town Hall is not the right venue for the Community Build.  Ms. Russell will inform Jenn Phipps of the decision and will provide other possible venues she can pass on to 
  • Additional Cost for Admin. Assistant’s Computer Transfer & Installation – When the approval of the purchase of a new computer for the Administrative Assistance occurred, Ms. Russell stated that there would be additional cost associated with the data transfer and installation and setup of the new computer.  For transparency purposes, said costs were provided to the Selectboard for review.
  • Garage Floor Bid from Hook Construction –The original Hook Construction bid was for $14,700 but due to an increase in the cost of materials caused by COVID-19 and other factors an additional $1,500.00 needs to be added to the bid.  Ms. Brassard had already informed the Selectboard that the total cost is still within the budgeted amount for the project.  


On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the Hook Construction’s amended bid for the last stages of the garage floor project for a total of $16,200.00.


  • After Green-up Day Follow-up – Mr. Evans reported that Green-up Day went well and he looks forward to coordinating next year’s event.  He has ideas about possibly providing a free breakfast or lunch, have residents commit to clean up specific areas and to hold a contest or provide Litter Bug prizes to children and possibly adults.  Several residents did provide payment for the removal of tires and the use of Town dump trucks to collect the trash and metal worked very well.  A discussion ensued on how the disposal of materials next year should be free at the Tri-Town Alliance Transfer Station.   Mr. Burson thanked Mr. Evans for volunteering to be the coordinator again next year.
  • Trash on a Riford Brook property.   A property owner on Riford Brook reported that there is trash located on a property that animals are spreading into the woods.  Mss. O’Toole and Russell will draft a letter to the property owner and include a copy of the current Trash Ordinance. 

Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3) and a legal matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 317(a).

On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously voted to enter into an Executive Session at 6:53 P.M. for a discussion on a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3) and legal matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 317(a). 


At 7:19 pm the board came out of the Executive Session. Relating to the Personnel Matter, no decision was made.  The Legal Matter was discussed and tabled for discussion at a future meeting. 


Payment orders – Messrs. Bent, Haupt and McMeekin and Ms. O’Toole reviewed the Payment Orders.


On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.



On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:19 p.m.  


Respectfully submitted,

Janice R. Russell

Administrative Assistant