Minutes Regular Meeting
Thursday November 5, 2020 at 6:00 pm
“In accordance with the recent amendments to Vermont’s open meeting law, and in light of the ongoing public health crisis, this meeting will be held via conference call. You can access the meeting at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present via Remote Conference Calling:
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Member
Robert Moyer, Development Review Board Chairperson
Timothy Caulfield, Emergency Management Dir.
Present at Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk/Treasurer
Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant
Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member, arrived late to the meeting due to a previous commitment.
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00pm. A roll call was done to confirm what Selectboard Members, Committee Chairpersons and guests were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with Mr. Bent requesting an Executive Session for a Personnel Matter be added.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on October 20, 2020 with a minor change under the Highway Report from 3’ of stone left at the Grantsworth Road crossing to 3” of stone left at the site.
- Citizen’s comments limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15 minute maximum – No citizen’s comments.
- Highway Report – Ms. O’Toole read the supplied Highway Report from Dylan Pratt. The Highway Department was down one truck, the 2019 Mack was at Tenco for warranty work, during the snowstorm on Monday night and Tuesday morning which caused the road work to be extended to a two day process. Pratt also reported that the New England Central Railway has not yet corrected the issues at the railroad crossings. A discussion regarding the offer from Mr. Masterson to sell his 16’ trailer to the Town of Braintree for $900.00 occurred. The Highway Dept. has used the trailer in previous years for small jobs to carry hay, seed, mulch, etc. and Mr. Pratt considers it a useful addition to the Highway equipment.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the purchase of the 16’ trailer from Mr. Masterson for the amount of $900.00.
Mr. Burson reported that Mr. Pratt met with Alan May, The Better Roads Grant representative, and was informed that due to lower funding options from the State of Vermont the Scope of Work has slightly changed to ditch work only with no tree removal unless absolutely necessary.
- Development Review Board – Robert Moyer reported that no items have come before the Development Review Board since May 2020.
- Zoning Administrator – Mr. Blatz was not in attendance so the Zoning Administrator’s report was tabled until another time.
- Old business
- COVID-19 Follow-up
- Restructuring Office For Safety – The Town is still awaiting the door installation into the Town Clerk’s work area.
- RAMAN update from Tim Caulfield – The level of COVID is running higher in the state but Orange County is still the lowest County. There are only two towns in Orange County that have more than five cases. Due to the ability to identify persons with COVID in less populated towns information from these Towns is not available. O’Toole inquired if the latest COVID numbers are related to the outbreaks at the High School. Mr. Caulfield believes that the High School breakout had been mitigated by contact tracing.
- Town’s options for a potential location of sand needed to replenish the 2022-2023 Stockpile – Mr. Haupt is meeting with American Consulting and Engineering and R.E. Tucker next week at a potential gravel pit site.
- BC/BS Open Enrollment Materials for 2021 Health Insurance Coverage-Domestic Partners – The Selectboard decided to allow Domestic Partners be added to the BC/BS Health Plan if an employee so chooses. Russell will meet with the Highway Crew to discuss the requirements for Domestic Partners and the Health Plan overall.
- Town Website Overhaul Update – Ms. O’Toole teleconferenced with Brian from bMighty2 and was informed that he will need access to the Town’s current website to investigate what information the Town already has and how to make the Town’s requested changes. He will need photos, logo and other content that is visibly appealing to place on the new site.
- Laptops for Selectboard Members Update – Vermont Computing has received the laptops and is updating and removing extraneous materials per the Town’s requirement.
- Road Scholar Training Update – This has been tabled for now until Messrs. Burson and Pratt can meet.
- FEMA Covid-19 Grant Update – Ms. Russell reported that a request for further information and clarification of expenses was received today from FEMA. She will respond to FEMA with the requested information.
- Possible Trade-In of 2017 John Deere Loader – The Board discussed the 2017 John Deere Loader’s capabilities to perform as needed by the Highway Crew. No decision to purchase a new loader was made and the topic has been tabled until further notice.
- New business
- Tim Caulfield/Emergency Management Group – Emergency Evacuation Plan – Mr. Caulfield reviewed the new Emergency Evacuation Plan that was created to be sustainable for the Town. The lack of a facility for an Emergency Shelter is a problem for the Town so the EMG decided that through the budgeted Disaster Related Funds the Town would provide hotel rooms for anyone needing temporary shelter during a disaster until FEMA or another organization can provide the needed shelter.
- Green Mountain Power Permit Application for Primary Underground Wire within the Highway Limits of Braintree Hill Road –A short discussion on the permit application and location of the potential dig site to place an underground electrical wire ensued. Pratt and the Selectboard Members are not in favor of allowing Green Mountain Power to run the line as requested on the permit application. Mr. Haupt volunteered to contact the Green Mountain Power representative for further information, clarification and other options for the permit request.
- Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313(a)(3).
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to enter into an Executive Session at 6:49 P.M. for a discussion on a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
Executive Session –The Board returned from Executive Session at 7:12 PM with no decision being made on the personnel matter
- Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
- On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:12 p.m.
Janice R. Russell