Braintree Selectboard Meeting
December 15, 2020 at 6:00pm
“In accordance with the recent amendments to Vermont’s open meeting law, and in light of the ongoing public health crisis, this meeting will be held via conference call. You can access the meeting at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present via Remote Conference Calling:
Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice Chair
Tim Caulfield, Emergency Management Director
Present at the Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson
Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk and Treasurer
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:00pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with no comments or additions being made.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on December 1, 2020 and the Special Selectboard Meeting on December, 4 2020, with Mr. Haupt and Mr. Burson abstaining because they were not present at one of the two meetings.
Citizens comments – 3 minutes. There were no citizens comments.
- Highway Report: Mr Pratt had previously submitted a highway report that was reviewed by the board. There were no questions or comments about the report.
- Mr Burson reported that the Lemery Bridge RFP has been sent to several local contractors.
- The board discussed the options for securing contingent resources in the event that the highway crew is understaffed due to the pandemic. Mr. Burson will discuss possible arrangements for contracting with local individuals to assist the crew if needed. If contracts are put in place before there is a need, such costs may be reimbursable by FEMA.
- COVID-19 follow up
- The door for the Town Clerk’s office space is being worked on.
- Mr Caulfield gave a brief update on the current situation with COVID-19 in Braintree and Orange County. Mask wearing, hand-washing and social distancing should continue to be practiced until a vaccine is available and administered to the general population later this year.
- Town’s options for a potential location of sand needed to replenish the 2022-2023 stockpile – no updates at this time.
- The Board engaged in continued discussion of how to reconcile the need to hold an annual town meeting with the ongoing situation related to the pandemic. A gathering the size of town meeting is currently not allowed due to social distancing and crowd gathering restrictions.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Ms. O’Toole, the Board voted unanimously to hold Australian Ballot voting in place of the annual town meeting floor voting for the year 2021, and hold an information meeting, virtually, the Saturday before Town Meeting Day.
- Better Roads Cat A application for road erosion inventory.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Better Roads Cat A grant application.
- Lister’s errors and omissions certificate
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Lister’s errors and omissions certificate.
- Internal controls approval
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board voted unanimously to sign the Internal control checklist.
- Treasurer’s financial report. Ms. Brassard gave the financial report for the fiscal year to date.
- FY22 Budget planning. The budget committee agreed to meet the first week in January to begin budget planning for FY22.
- Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313(a)(3).
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to enter into an Executive Session at 6:48 P.M. for a discussion on a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
At 7:15pm the board came out of executive session. No decisions were made.
- Payment orders – payment orders were not approved as they were not ready.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:15 p.m.