Braintree Selectboard Meeting
June 15, 2021 at 6:00 pm
“In accordance with the recent cancelation of the State of Emergency Order by Governor Scott the meeting was held both in-person and via conference call to follow Vermont’s open meeting law. The meeting can be accessed at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present via Remote Conference Calling:
Jessica Brassard, Town Clerk/Treasurer
Present at the Town Office:
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice Chairperson Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member Loren Bent, Selectboard Member
Janice R. Russell, Administrative Assistant Kris Haupt, Braintree Resident
Mr. Burson called the meeting to order at 6:02pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with no changes being made.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on June 1, 2021.
Citizen’s comments are limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15 minute maximum – Mr. Kris Haupt stated he still has concerns and questions regarding the way the Town roads are being graded. A discussion ensued regarding the differences on how Messrs. Haupt, Bent and Haupt believe the road grading should be done and what the State recommendations given to Messrs. Burson and Pratt on how road grading should be completed.
- Highway Report – The Selectboard reviewed the submitted Highway Report. The John Deere Loader once again is having problems with water leaking onto the Glow Plugs causing corrosion. Mr. Burson stated that he believes the Town in the future should move to leasing any new equipment needed instead of purchasing outright. Many towns in the area lease their equipment and there are great leasing options and terms out there that will be less expensive for Braintree going forward.
The Town is researching possible grants to cover the needed work on Thresher Brook and Thayer Brook Roads.
- Covid 19 Update – Governor Scott’s State of Emergency will end at midnight tonight. Mask wearing is still required in the office by unvaccinated residents. The Town will return to holding meetings following the open meeting laws/regulations.
- Follow up – Straw Thrower Grant Regulations – The Grant-In-Aid was re-read and there are no requirements for how long the Town needs to keep the equipment. After a brief discussion topic was tabled until the next meeting.
- Update – Road Erosion Inventory – Ms. Russell reported that VLCT stated that the next Road Erosion Inventory does not need to be completed until the end of December 2022. The Highway Foreman does need to keep accurate records on all ditch and other road work being done to mitigate soil erosion for the new inventory.
- ARPA Funding – Ms. Russell will be attending a VLCT presented webinar on Wednesday, June 16, 2021 on this topic. The discussion was tabled until the next Selectboard Meeting so further information on the subject could be provided.
- FY 2022 Build Communities Grants – Possible Collaboration With Randolph – This topic, after a discussion on what the grant was actually to be used for, was tabled until the next meeting.
- Sullivan, Powers & Co., P.C. 2021 Audit Scope of Services – The Selectboard did a review of the Scope of Services.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously voted to accept the Audit Scope and Services price of $15,000, plus or minus $1,000, from Sullivan & Powers.
- FY ’22 Letter of Intent to Participate in the Municipal Roads Grants-In-Aid Program
On motion of Mr. Burson, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously voted to accept and sign the Letter of Intent to Participate in the FY’22 Municipal Grants-In-Aid Program.
Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (2)(3) and a legal matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 317(a).
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously voted to enter into an Executive Session at 6:53 P.M. for a discussion on a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3) and on a legal matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 317(a).
At 7:15 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session with nothing new discussed on the Legal Matter and no movement needed on the Personnel Matter as it was handled but did not require a voted decision.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Burson, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Janice R. Russell