Braintree Selectboard Meeting
July 6, 2021 at 6:00 pm
“In accordance with the recent cancellation of the State of Emergency Order by Governor Scott the meeting was held both in-person and via conference call to follow Vermont’s open meeting law. The meeting can be accessed at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present at the Town Office:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member
Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice Chairperson Charlie McMeekin, Selectboard Member Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Dylan Pratt, Road Foreman
Janice R. Russell, Administrative Assistant Derek O’Toole, Acting Emergency Mgmt. Dir. Kris Haupt, Braintree Resident Stuart Kinney, Braintree Resident
Ms. O’Toole called the meeting to order at 6:02pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with Ms. O’Toole adding Gillespie Fuels & Propane, Inc. Fixed Plan Contracts under New Business.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on June 15, 2021.
Citizen’s comments are limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum –
Mr. Stuart Kinney initiated a discussion of hiring a part-time employee for the now vacant Highway Crew position. The Selectboard Members stated that the topic and suggestions would be discussed in the Executive Session.
Mr. Kris Haupt expressed his concerns regarding the amount of material being lost from the ditches, specifically the road side of the ditch, during the most recent ditch work. The loss of materials, in his belief, is removing the shoulders and causing the roads to become narrower.
- Highway Report – The Selectboard reviewed the submitted Highway Report. Messrs. Burson and Pratt will be requesting excavator rental quotes. The Highway Department will continue work on Peth Road, specifically filling in where trees were removed to widen the road. Mr. Pratt is scheduling the work on Thresher, Thayer Brook and Hockman Hill Roads.
- Fire Warden Report – Mr. Bent has two state approved locations on Riford Brook Road for a new dry fire hydrant and will be contacting the landowners of the sites.
- Emergency Management Director – Mr. O’Toole began his report by recognizing all the terrific work that Timothy Caulfield had done during his tenure as EMD. Mr. O’Toole stated that due to his other obligations he is scaling down the EMD duties to the bare minimum until the Selectboard can find a full-time director.
- Fire Advisory Representative – Mr. Bent reported that the Advisory Board has met recently and discussed the condition of all fire trucks and approved the request for additions to a couple structures and the building of others in the area.
- Covid 19 Update – No real updates to discuss.
- Follow up – Straw Thrower Grant Regulations – A decision was made to sell the straw thrower and purchase a hydro-seeder. Mr. Burson will speak with the Town Treasurer regarding the Vehicle and Equipment Fund Budget.
- Update – Road Erosion Inventory – Ms. Russell reported that VLCT informed the Town that VTrans is not funding road erosion inventories if the Town already has one until after the new MRGP permit is revised in 2023.
- ARPA – Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Funding (CLFRF)
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to accept the CLFRF funding along with the required Terms and Conditions and Assurances of Compliance with the Civil Rights Requirements.
On motion of Mr. Burson, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to appoint Megan O’Toole as the Braintree Representative for the ARPA Funding.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to appoint Janice R. Russell as the Braintree Contact Person for the ARPA Funding.
- FY ’22 Build Communities Grants – Possible Collaboration with Randolph – Mr. Haupt has reached out to the Randolph Fish and Game regarding using these funds for recreational upgrades to the Rolling Rock property. The topic was then tabled until further information is provided.
- New Short-Term Disability Carrier –
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously voted that the Town enter into the joinder agreement for short-term disability insurance with Madison National Life Insurance Company, Inc.
- Town Highway Class 2 Roadway Program – The Town received the Town Highway Class Roadway Program FY22 Agreement. The Agreement required Ms. O’Toole’s official signature.
- Forest Pest First Detector Course – Tree Warden Course – This topic was tabled for further research and discussion.
- Changing Website Domain from .com to.gov creation and support information – Ms. Russell will complete all paperwork etc. to obtain the .gov domain.
- Gillespie Fuel & Propane 2021-2022 Price Protection Plans – The Selectboard reviewed the plans.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to enter the Price Protection Plans with Gillespie Fuel and Propane again this year.
Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (2)(3) and a legal matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 317(a).
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously voted to enter an Executive Session at 7:12 P.M., and extended an invitation to Mr. Pratt join them, for a discussion on a personnel matter pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
At 7:45 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously voted to execute the wage increases that were discussed pursuant to the table that will be provided to the Auditors outlining updated wages for FY ’22.
The Selectboard discussed and decided in the Executive Session to fill the vacant Highway Crew Member position. This decision requires no vote of approval by the Selectboard.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Burson, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Ms. O’Toole, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 7:47 p.m.
Janice R. Russell