Braintree Selectboard Meeting
August 17, 2021 at 6:00 pm
“In accordance with the recent cancellation of the State of Emergency Order by Governor Scott the meeting will be held both in-person and via conference call to follow Vermont’s Open Meeting Law. The meeting can be accessed at the scheduled time by calling 802-210-4472.”
Present at the Town Office:
Charles McMeekin, Selectboard Member Loren Bent, Selectboard Member Keegan Haupt, Selectboard Member Janice Russell, Administrative Assistant Dylan Pratt, Road Foreman
Present via Teleconference Call:
Megan O’Toole, Selectboard Chairperson Daniel Burson, Selectboard Vice Chairperson
Mr. McMeekin chaired the meeting in the physical absence of Ms. O’Toole and Mr. Burson. Mr. McMeekin called the meeting to order at 6:01pm. A roll call was done to confirm what members and citizens were in attendance via teleconferencing.
The Board reviewed the agenda with Mr. McMeekin adding Town Office Door Locks and Town Hall Cleaner items under New Business. Mr. Burson requested an Executive Session for a Personnel Matter also be added.
On motion of Mr. Haupt, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved the minutes from the Regular Selectboard Meeting on August 3, 2021.
Citizens comments are limited to 3 minutes per person with a 15-minute maximum – No Citizens comments
- Highway Report – Mr. Pratt reported that Hockman Hill Road will be closed on September 1-2, 7-9 and 13-16 for ditch, drainage, and culvert work. The Highway Crew will then move the excavator to Thresher Road to start cutting trees by Fay Farris’ to prep that section for the Class 2 Road Grant Work. The remainder of the work will be completed during the 2022 Construction Period.
Mr. Pratt has been unsuccessful in contacting Hook Construction for the completion of the Garage Floor project. This topic was tabled until further information for completing the floor work can be researched.
Mr. Haupt initiated a brief discussion regarding creating aprons at the mailboxes on some Braintree Town Roads to meet U.S. Postal Regulations. The topic needs further investigating, and consideration so was tabled until a future meeting.
- ECFiber Representative Report – This report was tabled until a future meeting as Mr. Jackson was not available to provide a report.
- Covid 19 Update – The State of Vermont reported that there have been 5 new cases in Orange County in the last couple of weeks. According to the State 74.8% of Orange County Residents 12 and over have had at least one shot of a Covid vaccination.
- Appoint Dylan Pratt as Tree Warden – After a brief re-cap of the August 3rd discussion to appoint Mr. Pratt as the Tree Warden.
On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board approved, with Mr. Bent Abstaining, the appointment of Dylan Pratt as the Town of Braintree Tree Warden.
- Grants-In-Aid – FY ’22 – Best Management Practices – DEC Municipal Roads General Permit – This grant is now at the signing of the Agreement stage with the paperwork provided for Mr. Burson to sign on Wednesday.
- MRGP Amendment Form – Road Erosion Inventory Submittal – The annual form and payment was prepared for Mr. Burson’s signature on Wednesday.
- Town Office Door Locks & Keys – A conversation regarding the number of Town Office keys distributed to employees, Selectboard Members and chairpersons of the numerous committees developed from the concern of the office employees. The loss of any one of the distributed keys would require a change of locks to ensure the integrity and safety of the Town Office. A recommendation of installing keypads instead of a traditional lock was mentioned. Bent suggested that the topic be tabled until the next meeting to provide time to conduct research on the ease of use and the cost of installation.
- Town Hall Cleaner- A short conversation regarding the need for a person to clean the Town Hall before and after a rental of the facility occurred. A notice will be placed on Front Porch Forum and the Braintree Facebook Page asking for applicants or recommendations.
- Road Cut Approval – A request for a driveway road cut permit was submitted by Foster Tucker for his property on Riford Brook Road. Pratt met with Mr. Tucker at said property to determine the best location for the driveway.
- On motion of Mr. McMeekin, seconded by Mr. Bent, the Board unanimously approved Mr. Tucker’s Road Cut Permit at the location determined by Mr. Pratt.
Executive Session to discuss personnel matters pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. McMeekin, the Board unanimously voted to enter an Executive Session at 6:29 P.M. for a discussion of personnel matters pursuant to 1 V.S.A. Section 313 (a)(3).
At 6:36 p.m. the board came out of the Executive Session with no action taken at this time.
Payment orders – The Selectboard reviewed the Payment Orders.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously approved the payment orders.
On motion of Mr. Bent, seconded by Mr. Haupt, the Board unanimously adjourned the meeting at 6:36 p.m.
Janice R. Russell